Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Section 3: The Journey > Chapter 60: The final chapter


June 24rd, 2010

I don't recall how long I've been riding, only that I have seldom stopped. I have skipped meals, poured water onto my seething head, wrapped wet shards of cloth across my face, relied on colas to keep me hydrated and sane, budgeted pee breaks only at the brink of convulsions. I have kept the throttle twisted till my wrists beg for mercy. For how long I do not know. Merely that its too long for comfort. I can sense the evening approaching. I can tell I haven't the strength to crawl through the night. I know I haven't an option for I do not wish to stop. The R-15 will fly through traffic. I have seldom seen it so eager to please.

The sun will part ways with my path. Much to early, I think to myself. If only it had stayed a little bit longer. But it must do what it must, as do I.

I seem to have slipped into a reverie. I see little of the traffic. I see lesser still of the tarmac for the glaze of oncoming beams blurs my fatigued vision. I haven't the strength to ride. I haven't he mind to beg me to stop. I will splash my face with water at several stops in a desperate bid to stay awake. Its difficult to stay upright when the spirit is broken. I wish to ride no more.

Mumbai 100 kms - the board announces. I will latch on to a cage with an MH-02 inscription determined not to let go. In time he will lose me. I ride orphaned, seeking the hand of another. A two wheeler rushes by me, signals right, I believe I'm seeing thing, it looks like...

Spiderweb! I caught up to him! But that's not possible. It's been hours since he left. I signal left too and halt as he does. I inquire as to how he's still here. He explains that he has since taken his time, stopped for meals and taken rest before proceeding. I wish I had too for none of what he says makes any sense to me. I have lost all semblance of time and space. I just stand there staring in Spiderweb's direction.

We decide to continue riding. I follow him for in this moment he has more sanity than I. Perceptions change quickly. For he who I had wished to ride with no more, will now ride me to safety.

Several hours later the familiar sight of Fountain restaurant will peak over the horizon as our steeds glide onto the Thane Ghodbunder junction. We will ride into Fountain to be greeted by Cinderella and Razorblade, the latter being a biker himself, and one who has scaled Khardungla a year before us.

An hour later, I find myself in the warm embrace of a familiar bed. My consciousness will dissipate in the blink of an eye.


June 25th, 2010

The dim glow of the monitor touches my face. I can barely type for I haven't laid hands on a keyboard in a while.

"What do I do now? What could be more fun than this?", I ask a kin.

"Blog about your experiences no? Should be fun.", she says.

"I doubt anyone would read it."

"Then do it for yourself. Its a good way to relive the memories."

"Point taken."

Fingers to the keypad, I begin typing...

Section 1: In Anticipation > Chapter 1: Butterflies



May 13th, 2010

I'm afraid to be happy... 


******* THE END *******

4 comments:

  1. Finally... the saga is complete!!!

    Everyone has those moments when you 'leave somebody behind'. But the bigger thing is that we get over the feeling and riding together again.

    Waise... Whats the plan for new year :D?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha no plans for new years yet!! Hamara toh sab last minute hi hota hai ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lets do goa this year. what say? last time, i forgot to return :P

    ReplyDelete