Thursday, May 20, 2010

Section 1: In Anticipation > Chapter 2: A case for blogging

May 13th, 2010

A question to myself. Why bother with words? Surely I know how I feel. Why bother with expressing the expressions? Would I ever forget these moments? Would I forget how I felt? Probably never. I say probably never, for I have said definitely never many times before; only to witness otherwise. Never say never. Probably never is a safer alternative. And by safer, I mean, it makes you look less stupid when the inevitable happens. But I digress...

Back to my question. Why pen down the anticipation, the possible journey or the disappointment, the experiences beyond? To share with those before me? But they've already experienced it. I'll only be telling them what they already know. To share with those after me? But they'll experience it some day. I'll probably be ruining their surprise. To share with those that never will? If they did not care enough to experience it themselves, will they really care about my perspective on it? Then who am I doing this for?

When in doubt, resort to logic... If I rule out those before me, those after me and those that never will, it leaves me with me. I write this for myself. I write this as a retirement plan. For in my final days when the body is less than ideal, when the mind is fickle, when those around me lie in wait for my convenient demise, I will have no better company than the memories I create here and now. And while the arrow of time will force my brain to flush out details to make way for new information, as the memories fade quickly and the details become sparse - ripe for nostalgic rewriting - it is this digital ink that will help me travel back in time, relive the moments, stay true to the experience, remember/realize that my life was not wasted, that I spent it with friends, with family, with faithful machines that braved the toughest terrains to allow me to live life instead of getting through it, to forge friendships that would stand the test of time, to forget those that betrayed me, to remember those I lost, to the Universe that came together to make me...me.

And if all goes well, maybe someday I'll be able to sit my children and my grand children down, share milk and cookies with them, open my big book of blogs - printed out in big bold fonts for the convenience of my dying eyes - and share with them my adventures, in the hope that they might someday rediscover our legacy...that which we discovered decades before them... Freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment