Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Section 3: The Journey > Chapter 48: Idle-ology

June 19th, 2010

The night was brutal. I haven't slept a wink. The combined effect of the frigid cold and the constant rattle of our tin roof has made me nauseous. I will stay in bed long after the rest have exited. Several hours later, I will emerge from the enclosure only to find Motorbreath, RomoeMike, Spiderweb, in that order, sitting in the middle of the lone road leading out of Sarchu, doodling on the tar. Amused I ask them of their intent. The intent, I'm told, is none. The motivation, I'm told, is boredom and lack of options. I laugh and join them. I have a headache. I hold a deadly mix of Rum and Royal Stag to be the culprit. "You shouldn't be mixing your drinks", says one amused Pole. I thank him for his timely suggestion as I splash my face with icy water only to regret it.

The remainder of the day will bring forth no event of note. We'll only have a semblance of excitement when RomeoMike will disappear for several hours leaving us wondering as to his whereabouts. He will return claiming he was at the army base camp trying to determine options to transport his steed to Leh or Manali. Then there is the incident of Motorbreath finally deciding that he could hold it in no longer, walking uphill for 15 minutes to find a suitable and secluded spot, eventually resting behind a big boulder and returning refreshed, rejuvenated but without a hint of water on his hand. He will drink from my bottle of water and when asked if he washed after wiping, he will grunt, walk to a nearby tap and unwillingly wet his hands with a few drops. I will not touch the bottle of drinking water from that point on. But I will grin at the thought how far the bed-begging, wont-sleep-in-the-mud Motorbreath had come in the course of this journey. Perhaps too far in my opinion.

RomeMike goes on to inform me that the army expects to have trucks crossing Baralacha-La over the next few days. However, the timing is uncertain. I rejoice at the thought of our finally being able to cross-over. But as day turns to dusk, information starts pouring in that we might have to hold on for a few more days. With money running out and no ATM for miles, we were beginning to feel the pinch. We'd last a couple of days more at best. And the next time we try, we better make it through for we were on our last few drops of fuel.

The Poles have invited us to a game of cards in their tent and perhaps a round of drinks. Spiderweb, Motorbreath and RomeoMike will head in their direction. I will prefer to give it a go for I am intrigued by the stories of he who runs the theka. He starts a fire using horse dung as fuel. He speaks of his experiences in Ludhiana. He advices me to bask in the sun more often - for it will, he says, make my bones stronger. He asks of my martial status and advices me to find me a bride. I ask him of his family - he tells me of his wife and child back in Ludhiana. He comments on my mates. Remarks that while RomeoMike seemed quite and sensible, Motorbreath should perhaps smoke less, and Spiderweb, he says, talks too much, boasts too much, but is, in his opinion, isn't capable of much. I laugh but say nothing.

Time flies in the company of his stories, his trysts, his hopes and his dreams. I smile a smile I have not smiled in years. A smile of peace and happiness. Here I am, with no place to go, no desire to go, in the company of one I've just met, and yet come to trust as my own.

It's past midnight. I am about to call it a night, but suddenly I see shadows scurrying in the distance. I hear someone scream.  We're caught off guard. I cannot see what the source of interest is. We move closer to the fire wondering if it is a carnivore they see. It is then I hear my companion scream "Oh teri! Oh teri!". He points towards the mountains in the distance. What I see dumbfounds me. I see it! I see it! As clear as day! The unmistakable view of beams of light moving through the mountains towards us.  It's happening!! It's happening!!

Baralacha-la is open!

2 comments:

  1. Pata nahin! Tired of making commitments to write and not keeping them :P It will happen when it will happen. ;-)

    ReplyDelete