Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Section 3: The Journey > Chapter 31: The family three

[Authors note: I write this under the influence of anti-biotics. A severe throat infection has rendered me incapable of coherent thought. Excuse me if I commit murder with grammar and infidelity with logical thought. If you spot errors, by all means point them out, but be gentle.]

June 10th, 2010

I do not recall introducing Spiderweb and Motorbreath in the lines to date; or at least I do not recall expressing an opinion on their persona. Perhaps, I felt that it would be unfair to taint your judgment. Perhaps, I felt that our story would lead you down the pathways to making your own assumptions; give you time to reflect on your own dirty laundry. Perhaps, I felt that I could do no justice with shrink wrapping their individuality within the confines of a single paragraph - for as you may have recognized, a paragraph does right to no one.

But with the three that have journeyed into our journey the night before, I will do this very injustice. Not out of a desire to be unfair, nor of a desire to ruin your path to self discovery. I do this because that is what my mind tells me to do - and as always - it provides me with no justifications. It does, however, allow me to tell you that my opinions are just that... opinions. As the story continues, feel free to adapt your mental pictures of them to your own whim or fancy or both or neither. But I will say just a little, not a lot.

Raman Mishra aka Romeo Mike (rides a Pulsar 150): Soft spoken yet adventurous, a mild mannered daredevil. He rides cautiously but is unafraid to raise the stakes - and raise them he will, where our footing so governed. I have yet to hear him scream in anger or pain. I have yet to see him try and win an argument despite his higher ground for his sole desire is to keep the peace. He firmly believes in the gospel "Leave no man behind (LNMB)" - a gospel I will hear only put in words only on my return, but one that I have known in my heart all along. And yet, it is he we leave behind in the days to come, a decision I will forever regret, a decision that will demean me in the presence of me.

Ashwin Narvekar aka Drifter (rides a Unicorn): A gentle, in-your-face, says-what-he-means-means-what-he-says self who could make the act of climbing the Mt Everest sound mundane and pointless. With dilated eyes and a monotonous droid like tonal quality, he speaks of things big and small with the same enthusiastic fervor of a panda bear in hibernation. But the disinterest is just presentation, for he will sometimes ride with an aggression that could make your teeth chatter, speak of love with a zeal deserving mention in the classics, all with a startling lack of emotion. He too is an LNMB groupie, a fact will become more readily apparent in the pages to come.

Vishal Karve aka Vishal Karve (rides a Passion): You heard that right. He rides a Passion and often jests that when he's ready for higher torque, he will acquire the Passion Pro. But more than the ride, its the rider who is low on torque - a fact he unabashedly admits. But what he lacks in torque, he gains in spirit and humour. Ahhh yes, the biking spirit. But that is entirely not what I speak off. The spirit I speak off is alcohol, booze, intoxicant, liquor, catch-the-drift-before-the-thesaurus-stops-hinting spirit.  For under the influence, Vishal will speak of days when his associate, under an equivalent influence, proudly proclaimed his desire to relieve himself on the staircase of the bar - a desire that was squashed by the bouncing cavalry. I believe he has many more adventures to share. However, with us, he will share just this one. Three times. Go ahead, invite him over for a drink, listen to the story for real; I'll wait...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment